So I decided to give blogging another shot after a few years of slacking off. The old site where I used to dump my brain has rotten since I last used it so here's another attempt, this time using a static site generator, which should be less error-prone.
I've been feeling the urge to blog about stuff lately so we'll see how long it takes me to give up again.
At first I tried to use Blogofile, however, after discovering it doesn't really have a working mechanism to manage images and in addition its way of extracting lead paragraphs for the index rather sucks (it only has a limit on the number of words, so it is very likely it will cut the article in the middle of a sentence instead of letting the user specify a cutting point) and there were a few other things I didn't like about it (such as Mako templates or lack of development), I tried to look for alternatives.
I almost settled on Octopress, which looks rather nice, however, it is written in Ruby whose syntax makes me want to engage in an involuntary personal protein spill and has no built-in support for ReST (which is what I want to write my posts in). Luckily, before I got too much of configuration in place, I found out about Nikola which seems to be just the thing for me. It supports ReST, Jinja, better handling of metadata and, of course, is written in Python. On the other hand, it does not generate a nested directory structure of posts from a simple flat dump of files, though this might not necessarily be a bad thing, in case the number of posts grows -- in that case it might be beneficial to have the sources already sorted into monthly categories. I'll probably submit a patch for a configuration option for the file name of a new post upstream.
Anyway, please bear with me while I work on customizing this site and make it not look like another default Bootstrap blog.
CommentsComments powered by Disqus